Shimpei Ishido has been active in the field of international trade matters and international investment disputes for many years. He advises and represents governments and major corporations with regard to antidumping and countervailing duties proceedings as well as investment arbitration under ICSID, ICC and UNCITRAL arbitration rules. He currently serves as a member of the Japanese delegation to the UNCITRAL Working Group III (Investor–State Dispute Settlement Reform).
He usually provides his clients with general advice on a variety of international law issues including investment protection, government procurement, trade in services, e-commerce and space. He also has rich experience in providing capacity-building training on international investment law and trade in services to government officials of various states in the Asia-Pacific Region and Central Asia.
Before joining Nishimura & Asahi, he led, as legal counsel to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, the negotiation of Japan’s international investment agreements including the investment and trade in services chapters of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the Japan–EU EPA, the ASEAN–Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership, the Japan–Australia EPA, the Japan-Mongolia EPA, and the Japan–Mozambique BIT.

Recent activities


The Investment Treaty Arbitration Review: The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership



The Frontier of International Trade Law Vol. 5 - Protection of Human Rights and the Environment, and International Investment Policy



The CPTPP investment chapter and potential implications for the UK’s accession



University College London (LL.M. in International Law, Chevening Scholar)
The University of Tokyo, School of Law (J.D.)
The University of Tokyo (LL.B.)

Professional experience

2016 - 2017
Three Crowns LLP (London)
Volterra Fietta LLP (London)
2012 - 2015
Deputy Director, Economic Treaties Division, International Legal Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
2009 - 2012
Linklaters Tokyo

Major Cases

For details, please contact the lawyer/professional.