Due to the rapidly changing business environment, M&As among competitors are increasing with competition authorities in many jurisdictions often strictly scrutinizing them. We identify and analyze key issues under both domestic and foreign competition laws from the planning stage of the M&A, and give comprehensive advice and support to our clients in order to effectively and efficiently proceed with the merger control, ensuring consistencies with parallel proceedings in other jurisdictions by coordinating with foreign law firms. We have an enviable track record of leading M&As to successfully obtain clearance from various competition authorities. Our practice is supported by both our offices in Japan and our strong specialization in M&A practices.
Moreover, regarding M&A plans which potentially have significant anti-competitive impacts and may harm our clients’ business, we sometimes engage in advocacy to urge the relevant competition authority to block the deal or implement a sufficient remedy to the M&A by articulating competitive concerns caused by such M&A plan.
- Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co., Ltd. - Business Integration through Merger with Hitachi Capital Corporation
- Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. - Tender offer for Kawasumi Laboratories, Inc.
- 2020 - 2021
- Shoko Co., Ltd. - Tender offer for shares by SKT Holdings Ltd.
- A strategic alliance with a leading telecommunications carrier by a leading financial group
- Naver Corporation - Business integration of Line Corporation and Z Holdings Corporation
- Arbitration involving significant claims and its settlement concerning a joint venture between Japanese companies relating to power plant construction projects
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. - Integration of Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd., Keihin Corporation, Showa Corporation and Nissin Kogyo Co., Ltd.
- Mizuho Financial Group, Inc./Mizuho Bank, Ltd. - Capital and business alliance between Mizuho Bank, Ltd. and IBJ Leasing Co., Ltd.
- Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of Betek Boya ve Kimya Sanayi A.Ş.
- Kyocera Corporation: Acquisition of Van Aerden Group BV
Antitrust Roudtable:Investigating, Defending and Settling Multijurisdictional Antitrust and Cartel CasesSeminars