Due to the rapidly changing business environment, M&As among competitors are increasing with competition authorities in many jurisdictions often strictly scrutinizing them. We identify and analyze key issues under both domestic and foreign competition laws from the planning stage of the M&A, and give comprehensive advice and support to our clients in order to effectively and efficiently proceed with the merger control, ensuring consistencies with parallel proceedings in other jurisdictions by coordinating with foreign law firms. We have an enviable track record of leading M&As to successfully obtain clearance from various competition authorities. Our practice is supported by both our offices in Japan and our strong specialization in M&A practices.
Moreover, regarding M&A plans which potentially have significant anti-competitive impacts and may harm our clients’ business, we sometimes engage in advocacy to urge the relevant competition authority to block the deal or implement a sufficient remedy to the M&A by articulating competitive concerns caused by such M&A plan.
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. - Joint venture with LG Energy Solution for EV battery production in the U.S.
- Bain Capital Private Equity, LP: Acquisition of Scientific Solutions Business from Olympus Corporation
- Medipal Holdings Corporation: Agreement to acquire Toshichi Inc.
- Acquisition of Shiseido Co., Ltd.'s Professional Hair business by Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. - Transfer of shares in Honda Lock Mfg. Co., Ltd. to MinebeaMitsumi Inc.
- AMD - Xilinx
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of shares in Seibu Oil Co., Ltd.
- Daikin Industries, Ltd. - Acquisition of Duplomatic MS S.p.A
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd. - Purchase of manufacturing plant and equipment from ENEOS Corporation
- Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co., Ltd. - Business Integration through Merger with Hitachi Capital Corporation
German Competition Law - Important changes in merger control and protection of competition in the digital economyEurope Newsletter