Due to the rapidly changing business environment, M&As among competitors are increasing with competition authorities in many jurisdictions often strictly scrutinizing them. We identify and analyze key issues under both domestic and foreign competition laws from the planning stage of the M&A, and give comprehensive advice and support to our clients in order to effectively and efficiently proceed with the merger control, ensuring consistencies with parallel proceedings in other jurisdictions by coordinating with foreign law firms. We have an enviable track record of leading M&As to successfully obtain clearance from various competition authorities. Our practice is supported by both our offices in Japan and our strong specialization in M&A practices.
Moreover, regarding M&A plans which potentially have significant anti-competitive impacts and may harm our clients’ business, we sometimes engage in advocacy to urge the relevant competition authority to block the deal or implement a sufficient remedy to the M&A by articulating competitive concerns caused by such M&A plan.
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. - Collaboration with GS Yuasa International Ltd. for a High-capacity and High-output Lithium-ion Battery
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of shares in Vehicle Energy Japan Inc.
- JX Nippon Mining & Metals Corporation: Acquisition of Tatsuta Electric Wire and Cable Co., Ltd.
- BPEA EQT Pte. Ltd. - Sale of Bushu Pharmaceuticals Ltd. to KKR & Co., Inc.
- MUFG Bank, Ltd. - Acquisition of HC Consumer Finance Philippines, Inc. and PT Home Credit Indonesia
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. - Joint venture with LG Energy Solution for EV battery production in the U.S.
- Bain Capital Private Equity, LP: Acquisition of Scientific Solutions Business from Olympus Corporation
- Medipal Holdings Corporation: Agreement to acquire Toshichi Inc.
- Acquisition of Shiseido Co., Ltd.'s Professional Hair business by Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. - Transfer of shares in Honda Lock Mfg. Co., Ltd. to MinebeaMitsumi Inc.
Thailand’s Trade Competition Commission Issues Updated Guidelines on Credit Terms for SMEsArticles
Outline and Future Outlook of the Draft Guidelines Concerning the Activities of Enterprises, etc. Toward the Realization of a Green Society under the Antimonopoly ActCompetition Law / International Trade Newsletter
The new rules on vertical agreements and overview of other regulatory developments in EU competition law of 2022Competition Law / International Trade Newsletter
German Competition Law - Important changes in merger control and protection of competition in the digital economyEurope Newsletter