Due to the rapidly expanding globalization of the world economy, it is common for Japanese corporations to have foreign subsidiaries or related companies in a business group, as well as important assets abroad. In these situations, in order to liquidate or reorganize a Japanese corporation in financial difficulty, it is necessary to consider the application of not only insolvency and restructuring frameworks in Japan but also out-of-court workouts and formal in-court insolvency proceedings in foreign countries.
The global-restructuring practice group at Nishimura & Asahi has extensive expertise and experience of cross-border insolvency and restructuring cases and has represented foreign creditors or sponsors in various insolvency and restructuring cases of global and Japanese corporations. Depending on the case, our specialists lawyers collaborate with specialists in other fields such as M&A, corporate, finance, international litigation and arbitration to ensure we perfectly tailor our services to our clients’ needs.
- Related practice areas
- M&APrivate EquityCross-border M&ACorporate DisputesCorporate & Commercial TransactionsCorporate Reorganization & Civil RehabilitationBankruptcyLiquidation Proceedings/Special Liquidation ProceedingsOut-of-Court WorkoutsEarly Stage RestructuringCivil LitigationCivil Disputes Arising from Corporate ScandalsInternational LitigationInternational ArbitrationIP TransactionsInternal Investigations & Outside InvestigationsAccounting FraudTax PlanningTax CounselingLabor LawCross-border Transactions (General)
- AirAsia Aviation Ltd. - Fund raising and group restructuring of AirAsia’s business in Thailand
- Providing legal advice to a credit facility provider in relation to MTGOX’s civil rehabilitation plan
- Restructuring of an LCC during the COVID - 19 pandemic
- Corporate reorganization of Japan Drilling Co., Ltd. and Japan Drilling (Netherlands) B.V.
- Nishimura & Asahi secures victory for creditors in Mt. Gox bankruptcy
- Toshiba Corporation: Sale of Westinghouse claims for US$2.16 billion
- Toshiba Corporation - US$5.3 billion capital raise via a third-party allotment
- Representing a major creditor in the Skymark civil rehabilitation proceedings
Case Notes on Investment Treaty Arbitration Awards and Decisions (149) A Case in Which a Tribunal Found a Breach of FET on the Basis of Retroactive Application of Domestic LawArticles
Newly-published SME restructuring guidelines and overview of out-of-court workouts in JapanArticles