Nishimura & Asahi has considerable experience in the electricity and gas sectors, and is able to provide a one-stop legal service in all business phases from upstream to downstream in the sectors (from the sale and purchase of oil and natural gas (LNG) and investments in oil and gas fields, power generation and gas production, wholesale, transmission, to retail) in all types of legal practice areas such as M&A, joint ventures, financing, anti-trust and other relevant regulations, disputes and revitalization. N&A is uniquely qualified among other Japanese law firms to be able to offer a comprehensive service.
Among others, Nishimura provides legal services in connection with finance agreements, PPAs and other business agreements, and national and local governmental regulations and procedures for projects developing thermal power plants (gas and coal) and renewable energy power plants (solar, wind, biomass and geothermal under the feed-in-tariff) for sponsors, lenders and other parties. In addition, recently we have been providing legal services for a variety of business developments and projects responding to the historical de-regulation of the electricity and gas sectors in Japan, including business alliances and new types of business models, documentation for retail businesses and compliance with anti-trust, consumer protection and other relevant regulations (including cooperation with the governmental authorities).
We are pleased to assist foreign investors and developers that are interested in business opportunities in Japan, which has expanded due to the introduction of the feed-in-tariff and the recent de-regulation in the sectors.
- Investment Participation in an Offshore Wind Power Business in Taiwan
- 2021 - 2022
- Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, Inc. - Investment in Solar Rooftop CE 9 Co., Ltd.
- Hitachi Sustainable Energy Ltd. - Investment in Vietnam’s Trung Nam Wind Power Joint Stock Company
- Pattern Energy Group LP: Financing of Japan’s largest wind and solar energy investment fund
- Hudson Sustainable Group closes its inaugural green bond in Japan
- Octopus Energy Group Limited: Joint venture with Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd
- Toshiba Corporation: Investment in Digital Grid Corporation
- Hokkaido Electric Power Co., Inc. - Acquisition of stake in Alten RE Developments America B.V.
- Hana Financial Investment - Acquisition of Yamaguchi Shin Mine from Canadian Solar Inc.
- Arbitration involving significant claims and its settlement concerning a joint venture between Japanese companies relating to power plant construction projects
Article: Full enforcement of the Act regulating the use of land important from a national security perspective, the initial designation of the covered area, and its impact on foreign operators西村あさひのリーガル・アウトルック
Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) - Agreement in Principle on the ECT Modernisation Negotiations, Future Developments and OutlookArticles
Speaking engagement: 2022 Energy and Environmental Joint Practice Group Meeting & Client SeminarSeminars
Speaking engagement: Challenges & Opportunities: Latest Technologies for Hydrogen Production & StorageSeminars
Formulation of a New National Security Strategy, Economic Security, and CybersecurityCompetition Law / International Trade Newsletter
Vietnam: A Glimpse of What Power Development Plan VIII Would Look LikeNatural Resources & Energy Newsletter
Update to Economic Security Promotion Act: Designation of supported materials (specified critical materials) in relation to supply chain resilienceCompetition Law / International Trade Newsletter
Latest trends in intra-EU investor-state arbitration - a “strange animal” soon to be extinct?Dispute Resolution Newsletter
Details of FIP system under the Amended Renewable Energy Special Measures ActFinance Law Newsletter
Details of FIP system under the Amended Renewable Energy Special Measures ActNatural Resources & Energy Newsletter
Regulations relating to renewable energy in Vietnam (with a focus on rooftop solar power generation)Notices