Japanese manufacturing companies continue to actively expand their businesses into Indonesia making large-scale investments, including in resource exploitation and public infrastructure projects. With the current economic growth and expansion of consumer markets in Indonesia, business opportunities for Japanese companies including in the fields of consumer goods, information technology, contents provision and venture capital investment are also expanding.
However, Japanese companies wishing to invest or operate in Indonesia face many difficulties such as restrictions on foreign investment, vague wording of laws and regulations and broad administrative discretion. Japanese companies are also sometimes involved in serious disputes with local companies and others.
We provide a wide range of high quality legal services to Japanese clients in connection with their investments and expansion into Indonesia, acquisition of Indonesian companies and their daily business operations in Indonesia (commercial transactions, compliance, labor matters and/or dispute resolution). When necessary, we also provide legal services in cooperation with Indonesian law firms, with which we have long established relationships, including our affiliated law firm in Indonesia, which is where our lawyers are based.
We tailor our legal services according to our clients’ needs and each type of case. Our attorneys are experienced in providing legal services in Southeast Asian countries, and include attorneys who have worked for local Indonesian law firms, and those with experience covering various practice areas.
- Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co., Ltd. - Business Integration through Merger with Hitachi Capital Corporation
- 2020 - 2021
- Walalangi & Partners advises on landmark transit-oriented developments in Indonesia
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk - Acquisition of Ophir Energy plc
- MUFG Bank, Ltd. - Increased shareholdings in Bank Danamon and Bank BNP
- Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of DuluxGroup Limited
- Honda Motor Co.: Agreement to establish a joint venture company in Indonesia with Panasonic Corporation
- Yamaha Corporation's acquisition of land in Indonesia for its new manufacturing plant
- Contract creation regarding the acquisition of industrial park land in Indonesia by a Japanese manufacturing company
- Loan contract review for maritime purchase transactions by a Japanese trading company
- Contract creation regarding share transfers by a Japanese manufacturer to terminate a joint venture in Indonesia
The Frontier of International Trade Law Vol. 5 - Protection of Human Rights and the Environment, and International Investment PolicyArticles
First Protocol to Amend the ASEAN-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement, Investment Chapter 2Articles
First Protocol to Amend the ASEAN-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement, Investment Chapter 1Articles
Indonesia: Jurisdiction Update in Relation to the COVID-19 Outbreak (As of March 23, 2020)Articles
Personal data bill - comparative summary between personal data bill and existing personal data regulationsArticles
Electricity and Renewable Energy Regulatory Framework in IndonesiaNatural Resources & Energy Newsletter
The Long Wait Is Over - The Indonesian Government Finally Releases the New Positive Investment ListAsia Newsletter
Nishimura & Asahi enters new Indonesian association, Simplifications and Regulatory Improvement in Indonesia’s Energy and Mining Sectors (March 2018)Natural Resources & Energy Newsletter
New Indonesian Regulation requiring prior Government notification and approval of transfers of interests in the Energy and Natural Resources Sector (October 2017)Natural Resources & Energy Newsletter
Gross Split PSC: Changes to the Indonesian Production Sharing Contract (April 2017)Natural Resources & Energy Newsletter