With the ever-increasing importance of intellectual property and information technology, proper management and effective exploitation of IP rights and proprietary information are essential for a successful business in an increasingly information-oriented society. However, the need to properly protect and exploit intellectual property rights is no longer limited to certain industries dealing with cutting-edge technologies, but now permeates all kinds of businesses. Companies, therefore, need to be advised by lawyers that have specialist up-to-date knowledge of intellectual property law and the role it plays in their client’s business.
N&A is able to provide clients with comprehensive legal services including in the field of licensing, joint research and development and other intellectual property transactions for technical industries (information technology, life sciences and healthcare), the entertainment business (films, games, music, broadcasting, sports) and other areas of commerce.
One distinctive aspect of our IP practice group is that we collaborate with lawyers of other practice areas and provide strategic advice on intellectual property transactions that require cross-disciplinary consideration with regard to licensing, such as in the case of M&A or financing involving a corporation whose main asset is its intellectual property. We also regularly advise on the management of intellectual property rights and trade secrets and other information including preparing employee invention related rules and other internal rules and policies to protect rights and information, as well as provide clients with analyses of legal risks regarding intellectual property.
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. - Agreement with GM Cruise Holdings LLC and General Motors Co. to test autonomous vehicles in Japan
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. – Collaboration with General Motors Co. and Cruise LLC on self-driving vehicles in Japan
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited - Sale of healthcare business to Blackstone
- Landmark trademark decision
- Avex Inc. - Establishment of AI and voice synthesis business with Toshiba Digital Solutions Corporation
- Rakuten Inc. - Acquisition of majority stake in KonMari Media, Inc.
- Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of Betek Boya ve Kimya Sanayi A.Ş.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Holdings, Inc. - Business alliance with Uzabase, Inc.
- INCJ, Ltd. - Follow-on investment in Dynamic Map Platform Co., Ltd.
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. - Agreement to build new autonomous vehicle with Cruise and General Motors
Surcharges for late payment of renewal fees of a trademark and late payment of annuity fees for a patent have been temporarily exemptedArticles
Legal Developments and Issues Surrounding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic in BrazilCorporate Newsletter
The use of copyrighted works in data sets for machine learning - Commentary on the 2018 reform of the Japanese Copyright ActRobotics/Artificial Intelligence Newsletter