We provide specialized legal services related to the development of natural resources, and the procurement of energy and natural resources. As the first Japanese firm to provide legal services in these areas, we are proud of being recognized as a pioneer and leader in this area.
With regard to the development of natural resources, we provide a wide range of legal services including assisting and advising clients with the acquisition or transfer of interests, establishment and management of joint ventures or projects, and coordination between operators and non-operators in the course of exploration, development and production of natural resources such as oil, natural gas, coal, copper, and other minerals.
With regard to the procurement of energy and natural resources, we provide our clients with a comprehensive range of legal services including drafting, negotiating, and renegotiating agreements of sale and purchase of crude oil, liquefied natural gas, coal, copper concentrate, and other minerals or concentrates.
Our team consists of both Japanese and foreign attorneys with expertise in these industries, and with our growing network of overseas law firms, we are able to provide our clients with the highest quality legal services.
- NTT Ltd. Japan Corporation/Mitsui & Co., Ltd. - Trans-Pacific submarine cable system “JUNO”
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of shares in Seibu Oil Co., Ltd.
- JX Nippon Mining & Metals Corporation - Sale of LS - Nikko Copper Inc.
- Investment Participation in an Offshore Wind Power Business in Taiwan
- JFE Engineering Corporation : Establishment of a joint venture for a large-scale Waste to Energy project in Vietnam
- Goldman Sachs Securities Co., Ltd. - Sale of Japan Renewable Energy Co. Ltd.
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd. - Transfer of stock in Idemitsu Snorre Oil Development Co., Ltd. to INPEX Corporation
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd. - Purchase of manufacturing plant and equipment from ENEOS Corporation
- Nippon Paper Industries Co., Ltd. - Investment in Norway’s Elopak ASA
- Hitachi Sustainable Energy Ltd. - Investment in Vietnam’s Trung Nam Wind Power Joint Stock Company
Speaking engagement: Biennial Conference of the Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law (SEERIL) 2022: Resource Development at a CrossroadsSeminars
Reform of the Energy Charter Treaty – what is changing?Competition Law / International Trade Newsletter
Latest trends in intra-EU investor-state arbitration - a “strange animal” soon to be extinct?Dispute Resolution Newsletter
Details of FIP system under the Amended Renewable Energy Special Measures ActFinance Law Newsletter
Details of FIP system under the Amended Renewable Energy Special Measures ActNatural Resources & Energy Newsletter
Regulations relating to renewable energy in Vietnam (with a focus on rooftop solar power generation)Notices
Mark Tudor and Hiroyasu Konno joined an international group of legal experts supporting Professor Kim Talus in a project to create a "Model Diversion Clause for LNG Sale and Purchase Contract"Notices