We provide specialized legal services related to the development of natural resources, and the procurement of energy and natural resources. As the first Japanese firm to provide legal services in these areas, we are proud of being recognized as a pioneer and leader in this area.
With regard to the development of natural resources, we provide a wide range of legal services including assisting and advising clients with the acquisition or transfer of interests, establishment and management of joint ventures or projects, and coordination between operators and non-operators in the course of exploration, development and production of natural resources such as oil, natural gas, coal, copper, and other minerals.
With regard to the procurement of energy and natural resources, we provide our clients with a comprehensive range of legal services including drafting, negotiating, and renegotiating agreements of sale and purchase of crude oil, liquefied natural gas, coal, copper concentrate, and other minerals or concentrates.
Our team consists of both Japanese and foreign attorneys with expertise in these industries, and with our growing network of overseas law firms, we are able to provide our clients with the highest quality legal services.
- Toyota Tsusho Corporation: Acquisition of shares in Sama Aluminium Co., Ltd.
- ITOCHU Corporation: Capital and business alliance with ROSI SAS
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ): Investment in Shizen Energy Inc.
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of TOA Oil Co., Ltd. through a tender offer
- NTT Ltd. Japan Corporation/Mitsui & Co., Ltd. - Trans-Pacific submarine cable system “JUNO”
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of shares in Seibu Oil Co., Ltd.
- JX Nippon Mining & Metals Corporation - Sale of LS - Nikko Copper Inc.
- Investment Participation in an Offshore Wind Power Business in Taiwan
- 2021 - 2022
- Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, Inc. - Investment in Solar Rooftop CE 9 Co., Ltd.
- JFE Engineering Corporation : Establishment of a joint venture for a large-scale Waste to Energy project in Vietnam
Article: Full enforcement of the Act regulating the use of land important from a national security perspective, the initial designation of the covered area, and its impact on foreign operators西村あさひのリーガル・アウトルック
Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) - Agreement in Principle on the ECT Modernisation Negotiations, Future Developments and OutlookArticles
Speaking engagement: 2022 Energy and Environmental Joint Practice Group Meeting & Client SeminarSeminars
Formulation of a New National Security Strategy, Economic Security, and CybersecurityCompetition Law / International Trade Newsletter
Vietnam: A Glimpse of What Power Development Plan VIII Would Look LikeNatural Resources & Energy Newsletter
Update to Economic Security Promotion Act: Designation of supported materials (specified critical materials) in relation to supply chain resilienceCompetition Law / International Trade Newsletter
Reform of the Energy Charter Treaty – what is changing?Competition Law / International Trade Newsletter
Latest trends in intra-EU investor-state arbitration - a “strange animal” soon to be extinct?Dispute Resolution Newsletter
Regulations relating to renewable energy in Vietnam (with a focus on rooftop solar power generation)Notices
Mark Tudor and Hiroyasu Konno joined an international group of legal experts supporting Professor Kim Talus in a project to create a "Model Diversion Clause for LNG Sale and Purchase Contract"Notices