Our fundamental mission is to realize an affluent and fair society based on the rule of law. Pro bono plays a critical role in our pursuit of this mission. We view it as our obligation and privilege, as Japan’s leading law firm, to contribute our legal skills in a meaningful way to our wider community.
We provide legal services to organizations that engage in socially beneficial activities that otherwise could not afford such legal services.
Examples of our more recent pro bono matters include advising on an initiative to issue domestic partnership certificates for LGBT couples in Japan using blockchain technology; advising on an app to help parents deal with their children’s emergency health issues; and licensing advice for an organization seeking to restore Japan’s deteriorating kelp forests.
- ・Law Firm: Diversity & Inclusion award at the FT Innovative Lawyers Awards Asia-Pacific 2021
- ・Outstanding Firm for Pro Bono at Chambers Asia-Pacific Awards 2021
- ・Pro Bono Team of the Year at the IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards 2021
- ・Pro Bono Firm of the Year at the ITR Asia Pacific Awards 2021
- ・Outstanding Firm for D&I (Regional), Outstanding Ally (Takeshi Nemoto) and Cultural Inclusivity Lawyer of the Year (Hikaru Oguchi) at Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards: Asia-Pacific 2020
- ・Commended in Responsible law firm category at the FT Innovative Lawyers Awards Asia-Pacific 2020
- ・Award recognition: 2020 Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation Awards
- ・TrustLaw Innovation Award at the TrustLaw Awards 2020
- ・Top rating (Gold) on the PRIDE Index 2022
- Social Investment Partners: Investment in STANDBY App, a bullying prevention initiative
- Pro bono work for Grameen Nippon in relation to employment support for women amid the coronavirus crisis
- Pro bono work to develop a medical app for parents
- Pro bono work contributes to protecting Japan’s coastal ecosystem
- Famiee: Partnership certification for LGBT couples using blockchain technology
- Establishment of the Japan Network for Public Interest Activities
- Launch of Japan version of Grameen Bank
Publication: Government Access and Trade Rules: Government Access to Data Held by the Private SectorBooks
Supporting our community: Study session, guidance on legal services and panel discussion on women’s empowerment at Saitama Prefectural Urawa Girls' Upper Secondary SchoolNotices
Environmental Crime and Illegal Wildlife Trade: Guidance for Japan’s Financial SectorNotices
Supporting Refugees: Pathways Japan Welcome Party and Orientation for Ukrainian RefugeesNotices
Legal education and career guidance at Saitama Prefectural Urawa Girls' Upper Secondary SchoolNotices