Japan and Taiwan are important economic and trade partners. They have a long history of economic exchange, and enjoy a very close relationship. Especially in recent years, agreements such as the “Arrangement between the Interchange Association and the Association of East Asian Relations for the Mutual Cooperation on the Liberalization, Promotion and Protection of Investment” (“the Investment Arrangement between Japan and Taiwan”, signed in September 2011) and the “Agreement between the Interchange Association and the Association of East Asian Relations for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income” (“the Japan-Taiwan Tax Agreement”, signed in November 2015) have further enhanced the favorable environment for their mutual investment and economic exchange.
Nishimura & Asahi is the only major law firm in Japan that has a Taiwan Practice. We have developed an integrated system to provide general legal services in a direct and timely manner in Japanese, Taiwanese Mandarin, or English, with due consideration for the differences between the legal systems of Japan and Taiwan.
Specifically, we provide professional services relating to: 1) direct investment in Taiwan by Japanese companies; 2) direct investment in Japan by Taiwanese companies; 3) strategic partnerships, joint ventures, and other M&A matters such as TOB regulations, insider trading regulations, premerger notification filings, etc.; 4) listing in Taiwan (IPOs and secondary offerings by listing TDRs on the TWSE or Taipei Exchange); 5) all types of business contracts and agreements; 6) intellectual property protection in Taiwan and infringement claims; 7) bankruptcy and restructuring; 8) all types of disputes; and 9) Japan-Taiwan inheritance matters, such as legal investigations, drafting documents, negotiations with the authorities and relevant parties, etc.
- Related practice areas
- M&AJoint VenturesCross-border M&ACorporate GovernanceCapital MarketsREIT/Real Estate FinanceCross-border Financial TransactionsReal EstateCorporate Reorganization & Civil RehabilitationBankruptcyCross-border RestructuringIP LitigationInternational LitigationInternational ArbitrationIP TransactionsTrademark/Design ProsecutionAnti-Counterfeiting/Brand ManagementTrade Secrets/Unfair CompetitionCartels & Bid-riggingHandling Breaches of Antitrust Laws & Competition Law OverseasCompetition Law/Antitrust LawCompetition/Antitrust Merger Regulations & FilingsLabor LawConsumer Contract ActProduct Liability Act, Product Safety & the Recall of ProductsCross-border Transactions (General)Global ComplianceInheritanceInfrastructure/PPPMedicine/Medical Devices
- ORIX Corporation: Basic agreement to acquire shares of DHC Corporation
- T Capital Partners Co., Ltd. - Investment in Stripe International Inc.
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals Taiwan Ltd. - Sale of OTC pharmaceutical business to Alinamin Pharmaceutical Taiwan Ltd.
- Investment Participation in an Offshore Wind Power Business in Taiwan
- Advantage Partners Inc. and Tokyo Century Corporation: Acquisition of Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd.’s energy storage devices and systems business
- Acquisition of shares in, and consolidation of, Soushin Electronics Co., Ltd. (TSE: 6938) by Kamaya Electronics Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of Walsin Technology Corporation (TWSE: 2492), through a public tender offer in Japan.
- Acquisition by LITE-ON Technology Corporation, a Taiwanese listed company, of all of the shares in its Japanese subsidiary, LITE-ON Japan Ltd., through a tender offer and subsequent squeeze-out.
- Business acquisition of a Taiwanese company by a subsidiary of YUYAMA MANUFACTURING CO., LTD.
- Acquisition by Powertech Technology Inc. Group (a TWSE-listed company) of a shareholding in Tera Probe Inc. (a Mothers-listed company) through a public Tender Offer Bid (TOB) from Micron Technology Inc. Group (a NASDAQ-listed company).
- NIDEC-READ CORPORATION: Acquisition of SV Probe Pte. Ltd.
Business and Human Rights: Building Solidarity with Migrant Workers in East and Southeast AsiaSeminars
Assignment of receivables under Taiwan law (1)(2): Conflicts under the Civil Code and further progress under the Draft of Secured Enterprise Property ActArticles
Taiwan: Related Measures for Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) (as of March 27, 2020)Articles
Latest trends in intra-EU investor-state arbitration - a “strange animal” soon to be extinct?Dispute Resolution Newsletter
Taiwan: Obligation to pay employee wages during government ordered temporary closuresAsia Newsletter
Taiwan: Update on convention of annual shareholders meeting in response to COVID-19Asia Newsletter