Japan and Taiwan are important economic and trade partners. They have a long history of economic exchange, and enjoy a very close relationship. Especially in recent years, agreements such as the “Arrangement between the Interchange Association and the Association of East Asian Relations for the Mutual Cooperation on the Liberalization, Promotion and Protection of Investment” (“the Investment Arrangement between Japan and Taiwan”, signed in September 2011) and the “Agreement between the Interchange Association and the Association of East Asian Relations for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income” (“the Japan-Taiwan Tax Agreement”, signed in November 2015) have further enhanced the favorable environment for their mutual investment and economic exchange.
Nishimura & Asahi is the only major law firm in Japan that has a Taiwan Practice. We have developed an integrated system to provide general legal services in a direct and timely manner in Japanese, Taiwanese Mandarin, or English, with due consideration for the differences between the legal systems of Japan and Taiwan.
Specifically, we provide professional services relating to: 1) direct investment in Taiwan by Japanese companies; 2) direct investment in Japan by Taiwanese companies; 3) strategic partnerships, joint ventures, and other M&A matters such as TOB regulations, insider trading regulations, premerger notification filings, etc.; 4) listing in Taiwan (IPOs and secondary offerings by listing TDRs on the TWSE or Taipei Exchange); 5) all types of business contracts and agreements; 6) intellectual property protection in Taiwan and infringement claims; 7) bankruptcy and restructuring; 8) all types of disputes; and 9) Japan-Taiwan inheritance matters, such as legal investigations, drafting documents, negotiations with the authorities and relevant parties, etc.
- Related practice areas
- M&AJoint VenturesCross-border M&ACorporate GovernanceCapital MarketsREIT/Real Estate FinanceCross-border Financial TransactionsReal EstateCorporate Reorganization & Civil RehabilitationBankruptcyCross-border RestructuringIP LitigationInternational LitigationInternational ArbitrationIP TransactionsTrademark/Design ProsecutionAnti-Counterfeiting/Brand ManagementTrade Secrets/Unfair CompetitionCartels & Bid-riggingHandling Breaches of Antitrust Laws & Competition Law OverseasCompetition Law/Antitrust LawCompetition/Antitrust Merger Regulations & FilingsLabor LawConsumer Contract ActProduct Liability Act, Product Safety & the Recall of ProductsCross-border Transactions (General)Global ComplianceInheritanceInfrastructure/PPPMedicine/Medical Devices
- Acquisition of shares in, and consolidation of, Soushin Electronics Co., Ltd. (TSE: 6938) by Kamaya Electronics Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of Walsin Technology Corporation (TWSE: 2492), through a public tender offer in Japan.
- Acquisition by LITE-ON Technology Corporation, a Taiwanese listed company, of all of the shares in its Japanese subsidiary, LITE-ON Japan Ltd., through a tender offer and subsequent squeeze-out.
- Business acquisition of a Taiwanese company by a subsidiary of YUYAMA MANUFACTURING CO., LTD.
- Acquisition by Powertech Technology Inc. Group (a TWSE-listed company) of a shareholding in Tera Probe Inc. (a Mothers-listed company) through a public Tender Offer Bid (TOB) from Micron Technology Inc. Group (a NASDAQ-listed company).
- NIDEC-READ CORPORATION: Acquisition of SV Probe Pte. Ltd.
- Taiyo Holdings Co., Ltd.: First simultaneous acquisition of 100% shares of two companies in Taiwan by a Japanese company by share exchange for cash
- Sharp Corporation's receipt of capital injection from Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd.
- Acquisition of a Taiwanese logistics company by Sankyu Inc.
- Establishment of a Joint Venture in Taiwan by Meiko Network Japan Co., Ltd.
- Capital injection in a company listed on JASDAQ by a listed company in Taiwan in exchange for the allocation of new shares.
Taiwan: Related Measures for Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) (as of March 27, 2020)Articles