The European Union (EU) introduces supranational regulations and directives that have significant impacts on both member states and non-EU countries across the world.
For example, environmental regulations and data protection regulations recently introduced by the European Commission affect practices and activities in other non-EU jurisdictions including Japan. In addition, cartel investigations, merger filings, and investigations for trade remedies such as antidumping taxation can all have an impact on Japanese companies. Nishimura & Asahi provides legal advice to manage issues in connection with EU laws and regulations.
Separate from the EU as a supranational organization, each member state, such as the United Kingdom, Germany and France, has its own individual legal system and laws, and Nishimura & Asahi provides, in collaboration with attorneys in the relevant jurisdictions, high quality legal advice for various cases relating to countries in the EU. Nishimura & Asahi advises on a wide range of EU related matters, including acquisitions and mergers of European companies, issuance of various types of securities in the Euro market, investments in European funds and the establishment of anti-bribery systems to comply with the UK Bribery Act.
Nishimura & Asahi's EU practice group includes attorneys who have previously worked in Belgium (the location of the European Commission) as well as other major EU member states such as the United Kingdom, Germany and France. The group closely follows the latest movements regarding EU regulations and provides our clients in Japan with timely and accurate legal services including assisting them to make public comments on possible regulations in the EU in order to manage their legal issues relating to EU laws and the laws of EU member states.
- Nippon Paper Industries Co., Ltd. - Investment in Norway’s Elopak ASA
- Onward Holdings Co., Ltd. - Sale of Jil Sander S.p.A.
- Panasonic Corporation: Sale of Panasonic Lighting Europe GmbH
- Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co., Ltd. - Business Integration through Merger with Hitachi Capital Corporation
- Toridoll Holdings Corporation: Joint venture with Capdesia Group Ltd.
- Eton Systems AB - Strategic partnership with INA Intelligent Technology (Zhejiang) Co., Ltd.
- Towa Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of Spain’s Pensa Investments, S.L.
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk - Acquisition of Ophir Energy plc
- Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of a stake in Electricity North West Ltd.
- Sushiro Global Holdings Ltd. - Acquisition of a minority stake in Wasabi Sushi Bento Ltd.
The Frontier of International Trade Law vol. 3 - Climate Change and International Trade Law & Policy (1)Articles
Steps Towards a Sustainable Society: The German Due Diligence Act on Human Rights and Environmental Issues in Supply ChainsEurope Newsletter
A hard Brexit for European cross-border dispute resolution? - What companies outside the EU and the UK should know (Part II)Corporate Newsletter
A hard Brexit for European cross-border dispute resolution? - What companies outside the EU and the UK should know (Part I)Corporate Newsletter
German Competition Law - Important changes in merger control and protection of competition in the digital economyEurope Newsletter
The 2020 Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Personal Information of JapanData Protection Newsletter
Supplementary rules concerning handling of personal data pursuant to EU’s GDPRCorporate Newsletter
Nishimura Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (NIALS) Report by the CLOUD Act Study Group - Analysis on Legal Issues and Proposals on Data Held by Companies and Investigations -Notices
Kozo Kawai has been listed by the Joint Committee under the EU-Japan EPA as qualified to serve as an arbitrator of a panel under the EU-Japan EPANotices