- Japanese English
- Practice areas:
- Civil LitigationTax DisputesCivil Disputes Arising from Corporate ScandalsCompetition/Antitrust Civil Litigation Corporate Crisis ManagementComplianceInternal Investigations & Outside InvestigationsAccounting FraudInsider TradingMarket ManipulationOther Breaches of the Financial Instruments & Exchange ActBreaches of Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption Laws & RegulationsPolitical Funds Control Act, etc.Cartels & Bid-riggingOther Breaches of Antitrust LawsHandling Breaches of Antitrust Laws & Competition Law OverseasAct Against Delay in Payment of Subcontract Proceeds to SubcontractorsProtection of Commercial Secrets & Customer InformationCyber SecurityAccidents, Deception, Misrepresentation of Products & FoodFraud of Directors & Employees such as EmbezzlementWhistle BlowingMoney LaunderingHandling Overseas Corporate ScandalsLobbying & Contributing to Planning & Enacting of Public Policy
- Admitted in Japan (2002)
Mr. Kimeda’s main areas of practice are Corporate Crisis Management and Litigation.
As for Corporate Crisis Management, he has extensive experience in corporate scandal cases including window-dressing, misrepresentation of financial statements, insider trading, antitrust (bid rigging, price cartels, and abuse of dominant position), product defects, misleading representations of products, divulging confidential information, bribery, political funding, money laundering, breach of industrial regulations, and factory accidents. In these types of cases he has high expertise on the issues of internal investigation, third party committee investigations, defending against criminal and administrative investigations, public relations, rebuilding compliance systems, reforming corporate governance, and handling the related civil litigation. He also serves as an outside whistleblower hotline channel for a number of companies. As for litigation, he has considerable experience in tax disputes, shareholders disputes, and other types of corporate litigation. He is the author of numerous legal articles and has also been involved in the process of making laws and regulations. He has been recognized as one of the “Most successful lawyers” by the NIKKEI for the last several years as below.
2020 Corporate Crisis Management category 1st
2018 Corporate Crisis Management category 2nd
2016 Corporate Legal Affairs category 10th
2015 Corporate Legal Affairs category 8th
2014 Corporate Crisis Management category 2nd (overall)
2013 Corporate Crisis Management category 2nd
2012 Corporate Legal Affairs category 4th
2011 Corporate Crisis Management category 3rd
- The University of Tokyo (LL.B.)
- 2019 -
- Audit and Supervisory Board Member, KOITO MANUFACTURING CO., LTD.
- Member of the Study Group on the Prevention of Bribery of Foreign Public Officials, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- 2013 -
- Outside whistleblower hotline channel for Yomiuri Shimbun Holdings
- 2011 -
- Outside Director, Advance Create Co.,Ltd.
- 2007 - 2009
- Outside Director, Rakuten Securities Holdings, Inc.
- 2007 -
- Outside Director, Rakuten Securities, Inc.
- 2006 - 2013
- Outside whistleblower hotline channel for Yomiuri Shimbun Tokyo headquaters
- 2005 - 2015
- Outside Director, DAISYO CORPORATION
- 2005 - 2013
- Visiting Professor, Toin University of Yokohama Graduate School, Law School
- 2001 - 2002
- Assistant Division Chief, Planning and Legal Division, Financial Services Agency
- 1999 - 2001
- Public Prosecutor, Criminal Affairs Bureau of the Ministry of Justice
- 1998 - 1999
- Visiting scholar, Notre Dame Law School, USA
- 1993 - 1998
- Public Prosecutor, Tokyo, Urawa and Tsuchiura District Public Prosecutors' Offices
- 2008 - 2013
- 2008 - 2012
- 2006 - 2007
- 2002 - 2010