- Japanese English
- Practice areas:
- M&AJoint VenturesStartups & Venture CapitalCross-border M&ACorporate GovernanceShareholders' Meetings & Relationships with ShareholdersCorporate & Commercial TransactionsTrade Secrets/Unfair CompetitionPersonal Data & Privacy/Big Data BusinessesIT/CloudWTO/Regional Trade AgreementsCross-border Transactions (General)Internet/Cyber LawMedical Field/HealthcareBiotechnologyDigital OperationsDigital InnovationEU & EU Member StatesUnited States
- Admitted in Japan (2006)
Admitted in New York (2014)
Yuko Kawai is a partner at Nishimura & Asahi. Yuko has continuously advised a multitude of global and prominent companies on data privacy issues, including data breaches and security incidents, data privacy structures in the design of their business, cross-border data transfers, data governance, and global data compliance. Due to her experience and expertise, she is one of the partners leading the firm’s data privacy practice group, which issues monthly newsletters and publishes books concerning data privacy.
She has served as a member of the Tokyo Data Platform Case Study Project Review Board, held by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, and as a member of the Committee for Promoting Open-data in Public Transportation Sectors of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism of Japan.
She has also had the unique experience of working at the Ad Technology Legal department and Public Policy department of a leading Internet company in Japan, where she was deeply involved in various matters concerning data in the realms of digital trades, data privacy and big data.
During her many years of professional practice as a corporate lawyer, she has also conducted transactional and advisory work in cross-border and domestic M&As, corporate splits, joint ventures and business alliances, and general corporate matters for listed companies.
- Columbia Law School (LL.M.)
- Keio University (LL.B.)
- 2021 -
- Member, Tokyo Data Platform Case Study Project Review Board, Bureau of Digital Services, Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- 2021 -
- Member, "Special Committee on Global Data Governance" of Z Holdings Corporation
- 2020 -
- Member, Committee for Promoting Open-data in Public Transportation Sectors, of Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism of Japan
- 2019 -
- Statutory Auditor, Association of Genetic Information
- 2017 - 2019
- Statutory Auditor, Council for Protection of Individual Genetic Information
- 2013 - 2014
- Yahoo Japan Corporation
- For details, please contact the lawyer/professional.