- Japanese English
- Practice areas:
- M&AJoint VenturesDefense against Hostile Takeover/Shareholder ActivismPrivate EquityStartups & Venture CapitalCross-border M&ACorporate GovernanceShareholders' Meetings & Relationships with ShareholdersCorporate DisputesFinance Regulations/ComplianceCompetition/Antitrust Civil Litigation Cartels & Bid-riggingOther Breaches of Antitrust LawsHandling Breaches of Antitrust Laws & Competition Law OverseasAct Against Delay in Payment of Subcontract Proceeds to SubcontractorsProtection of Commercial Secrets & Customer InformationCompetition Law/Antitrust LawCompetition/Antitrust Compliance & PlanningCompetition/Antitrust Merger Regulations & FilingsCross-border Transactions (General)Global ComplianceLobbying & Contributing to Planning & Enacting of Public PolicyEducational ActivitiesPublic Interest ActivitiesTelecommunicationsMedicine/Medical DevicesElectronicsAutomotive & Auto PartsAerospace/SpaceRobotics/Artificial IntelligenceDigital OperationsDigital InnovationAfrica
- Admitted in Japan (1999)
Admitted in New York (2009)
Ryutaro Nakayama renders a broad-range of M&A-related advice to clients, including advice relating to corporate law, securities law, merger control, tax law and various regulations specific to the relevant industries. He recently represented clients in high profile M&A cases, such as Tokyo Electron in its merger with Applied Materials, and Nippon Steel in its merger with Sumitomo Metal.
Ryutaro Nakayama is also known as a leading competition law lawyer. He has established a unique practice with interconnections between his abundant experience in M&A and corporate practice and his merger regulation expertise. He has successfully obtained clearance from the relevant competition authority even where the resulting combined market share exceeded 50% in the relevant markets.
He has also handled cross border cartel cases for Japanese clients by coordinating with foreign law firms in various jurisdictions.
Ryutaro Nakayama plays a leading role in our firm’s Africa Practice Group and is recognized as one of the leading lawyers in this field.
He has been selected as a leading lawyer in the Corporate/M&A and/or competition law fields by various publications including Chambers Global and Asia-Pacific, Best Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal: Japan.
- New York University School of Law (LL.M.)
- University of Tokyo Graduate Schools for Law and Politics (LL.M.)
- The University of Tokyo (LL.B.)
- 2020 -
- Professor from Practice, The Business Law Department of Hitotsubashi University Graduate School of Law
- 2008 - 2009
- Lecturer, Seikei University Law School
- 2007 - 2019
- Lecturer, Chuo Law School
- 2004 - 2005
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, New York
- 2017 - 2019
- 2017 -
- 2015 -
- 2015 - 2017
- 2015 - 2016
- 2013 - 2014
- 2012 -
- 2011 - 2013
- 2011 - 2012
- 2011 - 2012
- 2010 -