- Nishimura & Asahi Seminars
N&A Legal Forum
Legal and tax seminar on M&A investments into the Netherlands
- May 19, 2023 10:30 - 13:00 (Doors open 10:00)
- Sunrise Hall, Otemon Tower 10th Floor, Nishimura & Asahi
The seminar will address the legal and tax M&A environment in the Netherlands (and more broadly the EU) for Japanese companies that are considering M&A and foreign direct investment into the Netherlands. During the seminar specific topics will be addressed such as post COVID M&A negotiation, latest EU tax developments, best practices by Japanese companies for successful investments into the Netherlands and the latest developments in choosing your European hub/holdco jurisdiction (eg substance, tax treaties, tax incentives).
- Opening remarks
- Part 1 (M&A)
- Coffee break
- Part 2 (Tax)
- Closing remarks
- Networking session
While mainly focusing on financial transactions and financial regulations, he has also advised on a variety of projects such as international disputes regarding financial products and M&A transactions (especially those involving financial institutions). Projects he has represented include an acquisition of shares in Seiyu by KKR and Rakuten in 2021, the restructuring of KDDI’s financial business in 2020, and Aozora Bank’s capital restructuring to repay governmental funds in 2013. He won the “Deal of the Year” award at Japan Achievement Awards 2014/2015 hosted by FinanceAsia and the “Japan Deal of the Year” award at Japan Law Awards 2015 sponsored by Asian Legal Business (ALB) with respect to Suntory Holdings’ acquisition of Beam, Inc. in 2014. His practice area also includes international taxation. Taking advantage of his considerable experience in advising on international financial transactions, he provides clients with practical tax advice both at the stage of transaction structuring and during tax disputes, especially in relation to complicated financial instruments. He successfully represented Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance in contesting a tax assessment on a cross-border reinsurance transaction ceding earthquake-related risks. He is also very active in academia. He was a Visiting Associate Professor at the University of Tokyo, Graduate Schools of Law and Politics from 2010 to 2013 and has been a lecturer at Keio University Law School since 2014. He has authored numerous academic articles such as Corpus Juris Finance (Co-author; Shojihomu Kenkyukai, 2003), Comparative Income Taxation - Fourth Edition (Co-author; Kluwer Law International, 2019), and Analysis of Issue Prices in Public Offerings (Co-author; Yuhikaku, 2015).
Yoshi’s practice covers various M&A transactions, cross border deals, and day-to-day commercial businesses, with a focus on Europe-related matters. He lived in Europe approx. 8 years including studying at the master of law at UCL in London, working approx. 3 years in leading firms in Frankfurt, Paris and Italy, a short secondment in Barcelona/Madrid and having regular business trips all across Europe including the Netherlands, Nordic countries and Eastern Europe. As a leading partner of Europe practice and cross-border team, Yoshi provides a tailored legal services in a timely and flexible manner.
- Please refrain from participating if you are a lawyer (excluding in-house corporate lawyers), a journalist, a student, or a seminar management company employee.
- The registration period will end once maximum capacity is reached.
- Please note that for individuals who are not affiliated with an organization (such as those with a free or mobile email address) and for those whose affiliation cannot be confirmed based on the information provided, we may decline participation without contacting you separately if we judge that the application is not appropriate for our law firm.
- Joining instructions will be sent via email 1-2 days in advance of the seminar date.
- Please be aware that there may be changes to the date, time, location, or content of the event due to unavoidable circumstances.
- Please refrain from recording seminars, or copying or quoting content/materials without permission.
- Please note that we may not be able to accommodate all registrations due to the volume of applications.