Overseas Practice Law Firm of the Year at ALB Japan Law Awards 2023
Partner, specializes in Corporate/M&A. Experienced in various domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, and provides extensive advice on a wide range of corporate activities, including corporate governance, management and utilization of information. Has a focus on the fashion law practice.
Ayako Matsumoto is a partner at Nishimura & Asahi specializing in the area of Corporate/M&A. She has handled various domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, including complicated and large-scale issues. She also provides extensive advice on a wide range of corporate activities, including corporate governance, compliance, management and utilization of information, digital transformation, brand strategy, insurance, and various corporate and commercial transactions. She is a core member of our data protection practice group, and provides practical advice regarding information related issues on global management of personal data, trade secrets and intellectual property, insider trading regulations, cyber security insurance, utilization of digital technology, etc. She has also been focusing on the fashion law practice, and provides crosscutting and global legal support, by closely collaborating with our experts in various fields and local offices, for apparel designers, retailers, manufacturers, importers, investors, and brand owners and luxury goods companies. She provides practical, commercial, and creative advice to protect brands and ensure they remain competitive in a fierce and rapidly evolving industry with rapid progress in digital economy and social transformation.
- Sumitomo Electric Industries – Acquisitions of Nissin Electric and TECHNO ASSOCIE through tender offers
- Tokyu Fudosan Holdings Corporation: Sale of Tokyu Hands Inc. to Cainz Corporation
- Advantage Partners Inc. and Tokyo Century Corporation: Acquisition of Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd.’s energy storage devices and systems business
- Nisshin Seifun Group Inc. - Acquisition of Allied Pinnacle Pty Ltd.
- 2015 - 2016
- Acquisition of MLC Limited in Australia by Nippon Life Insurance Company
Awards & Rankings
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M.)
- Sophia University (LL.B.)
- Vice Chairman, IT Law Research Group, Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- Outside Director, Alpen Co.,Ltd.
- Mitsubishi Corporation (Americas)
- Mitsubishi International Corporation, New York