Provision of full coverage advice to meet clients’ legal needs in Indonesia with respect to new investments, commercial matters, disputes and other legal matters
Japanese manufacturing companies continue to actively expand their businesses into Indonesia making large-scale investments, including in real-estate development projects, resource exploitation, and public infrastructure projects. With the current economic growth and expansion of consumer markets in Indonesia, business opportunities for Japanese companies including in the fields of consumer goods, information technology, contents provision, and venture capital investment are also expanding.
However, Japanese companies wishing to invest or operate in Indonesia face many difficulties such as restrictions on foreign investment, vague wording of laws and regulations, and broad administrative discretion. Japanese companies are also sometimes involved in serious disputes with local companies and others.
We provide a wide range of high-quality legal services to Japanese clients in connection with their investments and expansion into Indonesia, acquisition of Indonesian companies, real-estate development projects, and their daily business operations in Indonesia (commercial transactions, compliance, internal investigation, labor matters, dispute resolution, and/or insolvency cases). When necessary, we also provide legal services in cooperation with Indonesian law firms, with which we have long-established relationships, including our affiliated law firm in Indonesia, which is where our lawyers are based.
We tailor our legal services according to our clients’ needs and each type of case. Our attorneys are experienced in providing legal services in Southeast Asian countries, and include attorneys who have worked for local Indonesian law firms, and those with experience covering various practice areas.
- MUFG Bank, Ltd. - Acquisition of HC Consumer Finance Philippines, Inc. and PT Home Credit Indonesia
- Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co., Ltd. - Business Integration through Merger with Hitachi Capital Corporation
- 2020 - 2021
- Walalangi & Partners advises on landmark transit-oriented developments in Indonesia
- PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk - Acquisition of Ophir Energy plc
- MUFG Bank, Ltd. - Increased shareholdings in Bank Danamon and Bank BNP
- Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of DuluxGroup Limited
- Honda Motor Co.: Agreement to establish a joint venture company in Indonesia with Panasonic Corporation
- Yamaha Corporation's acquisition of land in Indonesia for its new manufacturing plant
- Contract creation regarding the acquisition of industrial park land in Indonesia by a Japanese manufacturing company
Awards & Rankings
- Asia Leaps Ahead on Adopting OECD Global Minimum Tax Rules
- Ryutaro Nakayama and Yuri Sugano were interviewed at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2023 (Davos)
- Commentary: Asia-Pacific's Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement promotes free cross-border data flows